Saturday, February 27, 2010

In Search of Home


It took the better part of two months but the inevitable has happened. It was never a question of if, but rather when the affliction of homesickness would finally catch up with me. This is not to say I have developed severe emotional distress out of lack of communication with my friends and family, far from it in fact. Thanks to the internet, I am in touch with most of my friends NOT living on a boat (ship), and my parents have discovered the wonders of online voice and video chat. No, in my case homesickness has manifested by leaving me longing for the comforting flavors of home: beer and cheese. There are few things in this world that provide more pleasure for the palate when done correctly.
Many can attest to my affinity, and some may argue obsession, with these two particular players in the world of fine food and drink. If let free to roam unhindered at the market, I will easily spend in excess of an hour parousing the selections available to me in each respective section. Though in no way an expert, my knowledge of beer is respectable. Fermentation type, style, malts, barleys, hops, all important. My understanding of cheese in comparison is considerably lacking, however not for the lack of my own enthusiasm on the subject. As far as I can tell, there is more to learn about cheese then the history of Europe. I refuse to allow my inconstant knowledge of the 'fromage' to hinder my enjoyment of it in any way.
By far my favorite discovery thus far (apart from marmite) has been the Borough Market by London Bridge. On a free Saturday afternoon, I journeyed down to this large and bustling open air market the first time there were no track closures on the Jubilee line of the underground. Comprised of a network of paths and structure to provide shelter from rain, the majority of vendors focus on things edible. Highlighted by specialty wine shops, local and imported produce, and bakers; it is worth enduring the cold and the overwhelming crowds. You often find yourself forcibly ushered in the general flow of the crowd, unable to dictate your own movements. Still, with samples of cheeses of all variety and bizarrely delicious fruit spreads at hand, you endure these small hardships.
In addition, numerous food carts litter the market and provide an ample selection of street food to carry around with you. However easy it is to grab an ostrich burger on your way in, a meal can be made from sampling alone. To this end, after completing a few laps to see what was available, a 2 year aged gruyere from Leicester was the stand out. A tame quantity of cheese in hand, the last stop before heading out was Utobeer: the most respectable craft beer vendor I have yet found. After much consideration about my options and a brief chat with some fellow enthusiasts, I settled on two new beers from Scotland and Belgium. Although I had originally planned to pick up an American ale to curb my homesickness, trying new things turned out to be a good decision. That night was a satisfying return to a certain comfort zone I am used to back home and often take for granted. The enjoyment taken from the simple pleasures proved to cure what was ailing me. The Borough Market once again proves what lyrics have told us all along: the cheese stands alone.
(Note the absence of pictures of the afore mentioned street food and cheese carts: there were simply too many people.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Suggestions? Lets discuss.